Second in a series of seafood recipes with wine pairings that will add a dash of elegance and uniqueness to your holiday table.
The “Choose Canadian Seafood” campaign offers a unique twist to holiday dishes by providing Canadian seafood recipes, such as ‘sea-cuterie’ appetizers, Trout Wellington mains, and salmon dishes inspired by the bounty of our oceans.
Over this Christmas and New Year season, SeaWestNews will bring you 12 recipes from the “Choose Canadian Seafood” campaign with suggested wine pairings from winesomm.ca, a family of three sommeliers in Vancouver.
These wines and seafood delights, which allow for a diverse and festive menu, will surely a dash of elegance and uniqueness to your holiday table.
Choosing Canadian seafood also boosts an industry spanning from small towns to major cities that supports over 90,000 workers and contributes $9 billion annually to our economy.
So, feel good about adding more seafood to your plate this holiday season.
Today’s featured dish is Crispy Canadian Seafood Wonton Bites.
Crispy Canadian Seafood Wonton Bites
When company is coming—even if you weren’t expecting any! —this no-fail appetizer is ready at a moment’s notice. For a dinner party, game or movie night, or any occasion in need of snacks or starters, the combo of crunchy wontons, tangy coleslaw, and luscious mussels or trout will elevate the moment and make you look like a kitchen superstar.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 8-10 minutes
- Primary ingredient: Mussels
- Serves: 12 bites
- Also good with: Trout
For the wonton cups:
- 2 cans smoked or pickled Canadian mussels, drained (or smoked trout, flaked)
- 12 wonton wrappers
For the filling:
- 250g (8.8 oz) premade coleslaw
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease or spray the wells of a mini muffin tin. Gently press each wonton wrapper into the wells, shaping them into cups. Bake for 8–10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and let the wonton cups cool completely in the tin.
- Spoon premade coleslaw into each cooled wonton cup.
- Top the coleslaw with a mussel or a piece of smoked trout. Sprinkle with green onions.
- Finish each cup with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds for added texture and flavour.
Serve immediately for the best texture and flavour.
- For a spicy kick, add a drizzle of sriracha or a pinch of red pepper flakes on top of each cup.
Haywire 2021 Pinot Gris Switchback Vineyard
Summerland, Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Another successful vintage and one of the best Pinot Gris in BC. Using native vineyard yeast, it was aged in concrete and stainless steel after full malolactic fermentation. A complex wine with fine structure and texturing. Creamy, citrus, pear, honey, minerality, deep lemon colour. Drink it with hors d’oeuvres, seafood, chicken and duck dishes.
Rated: Superb (91-92 Points)
Tasted: March, 2023
Price: $29.99 Winery online: okanagancrushpad.com