This Prawns in White Wine recipe, with fresh herbs and lots of tomatoes, makes a great simple summer dinner. Serve with a salad, and french bread.
Prawns are a rich source of selenium, one of the most effective antioxidants at maintaining healthy cells. They also contain high levels of Zinc, which is important to develop a healthy immune system. Eating prawns helps build strong bones because they contain phosphorous, copper and magnesium.
Gamberi Al Vino Bianco (Prawns with white wine)
¼ cup butter
¼ cup Greek olive oil
½ cup finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon finely diced jalapenos
1 cup diced tomatoes
¼ cup tomato paste
2 cups white wine
1 cup chicken broth
24-30 large prawns, raw and in tail shell
Optional – 1 pound cleaned mussels, discard any mussels that may be open.
½ cup roughly chopped parsley
- Heat butter and olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, jalapenos and tomatoes, stir well and continue to cook gently.
- Pour the 2 cups wine and the chicken broth into the pan and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced to half the amount.
- Add the mussels (if using), cover and cook for 3-4 minutes (discard any unopened mussels)
- Add the prawns, cook for 1 minute, remove from heat and let it rest for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and top with the chopped parsley.
- Serve with a pasta of your choice, add 2 crusty baguettes (to mop up the delicious sauce), and a large garden salad.