Deepavali (Diwali) symbolises the spiritual victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance. Considered one of the most popular festival of Hinduism, this festival is celebrated by Hindus, Jains and Sikhs living around the globe.
This is a time when families and friends come together to worship, and to celebrate with a special feast in honour of their blessings.
Salmon is known as one of the super foods, so why not celebrate this super Deepavali festival with our heart healthy salmon curry?
Make this recipe, for a Deepavali dinner celebration at home.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons brown butter
- 2 cups diced onions
- 6 tablespoons Curry powder blend
- 8 cups vegetables – 1 cup cubed potatoes, 1 cup chopped carrots, 1 cup sliced eggplants, 1 cup zucchini
- 10 cups vegetables broth
- 12 serving-size salmon fillets
- juice from 1 large lemon
- In a large saucepan, heat the fats over medium heat, add the diced onions and cook until soft. Lower the heat.
- Sprinkle the curry powder blend over the onions and stir well to coat. Continue roasting gently over the low heat (2 minutes), stirring often to avoid sticking.
- Add the 4 cups of vegetables and give it a good stirring with the curry and onions.
- Pour in the broth. Turn up the heat to medium. Cover and bring to a simmer until the potatoes are half way done.
- Gently place the salmon into the saucepan of simmering curry and vegetables. Spoon liquid and vegetables over the salmon. Cover, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat, drizzle lemon juice into the pot of curry, give it a gentle stirring while being careful not to break up the tender, juicy salmon.
- Transfer to a big serving dish.
- Serve with a traditional dal, Indian breads and lime chutney.
After a healthy meal like this, you will not feel guilty when you partake in those delicious Deepavali sweets like Gulab Jamun, Kheer and Ladoo.
There is one rule to eating healthy and that is creating with ingredients that are healthy for you, and healthy for the planet.
The health benefits of B.C. salmon have been lauded for decades. From the brilliant Omega-3 Fatty Acids to 7 different B vitamins, and so much more. Plus B.C.’s salmon farming industry is investing millions in the environment. Eating more farm raised salmon will save more wild salmon for our future generations.
A Christmassy Mussels Recipe